ChromaGen Lenses

Reading and Comprehension Issues


Mt Tam Optometric Center is proud to be one of just three offices in Northern California able to offer ChromaGen – the only FDA approved visual aid for patients with visual reading difficulties and Dyslexia.

ChromaGen is a patented lens technology that can be prescribed for eyeglasses or contact lenses and can easily be incorporated into an existing prescription. The lenses can be fitted to any traditional eyeglass frame and have a neutral grey appearance.

ChromaGen Lenses Address Two Groups Of Symptoms:

If you suffer from any of the following symptoms, ChromaGen lenses are a life-changing aid that could work for you.

This 3-4 minute survey has proven to be very accurate in determining which people will benefit from the ChromaGen Solution. Click the orange button above to take the survey. Please make sure you enter the correct contact information so that the team at Mt Tam Optometric Center can contact you with your results and options.

Understanding Reading Issues and Visual Dyslexia:

We often hear from adults or parents whose children struggle with reading issues or Dyslexia. They have been informed after their eye exam that their vision is 20/20. They are then told that, “Dyslexia is not a vision problem” so they need to look elsewhere for help as their issues will not be solved with an eyeglass or contact lens modality.

The problem stems from the term 20/20 being commonly mistaken for vision when it truly refers to an individual’s sight. 20/20 refers to sight and not vision. 20/20, 20/30, etc., are actually measurements of a person’s ability to see a certain size object at a certain distance. Vision is the ability to understand and use the information that we see for purposeful activity. In short, visual acuity or sight measures only the smallest detail we can see; it does not represent the quality of vision or the effort needed to understand what we see.

You could have perfect sight (20/20) and still have a variety of vision issues.

Reading problems and Dyslexia are a vision issue because the patient has difficulty correctly processing and understanding what they see. The vision process is quite complex. Each eye has two parallel processing systems that must be balanced and additionally, both eyes must work together for efficient reading. If these two systems are not balanced, the patient will experience the all too common symptoms of words blurring or doubling, words moving on the page, headaches, eyestrain and reduced reading speed and comprehension.


ColorVision Issues


What is Color Blindness?

Color Vision Deficiency entails the inability of the eye to tell the difference between different shades of color. In the more severe cases of this disorder, the eye is completely unable to discern any color at all. This is commonly referred to as color blindness. Short of total color blindness, two main types of Color Vision Deficiency exist, Red-Green (which is the most common form), and Blue-Yellow. In each case the patient finds it hard to discern between the two colors. Did you know that one-in-ten men and one-in-two hundred women deal with Color Vision Deficiency?

Take a Color Vision Test:

Take the color vision test

Many people don’t realize exactly how difficult this condition can make life for those who suffer from it. The inability to differentiate from red and green makes it impossible to know when to stop or go when at a traffic light. People are often described by a reference to the color of the clothes they wear. Driving and walking directions are often given in terms of colored land marks. In general it is quite common to receive color-based instructions on how to complete important activities. An inability to discern certain colors can, therefore, cause serious errors that lead to frustration at best and personal danger or harm at worst.

The worst is when a person can’t get their “Dream Job” because they can’t pass the standard color deficiency tests when applying. Some examples of jobs that may require these tests are:

  • Firefighter
  • Police Officer
  • Military Personnel
  • Commercial Pilot
  • Graphic Artist
  • Electrician
  • Or any job which requires color distinction

How do ChromaGen Lenses Work:

First off, ChromagGen lenses do not cure color vision deficiencies. What they do is shift the “Area of Confusion” in the color spectrum to a different location. What this does for the patient is that it enhances color perception and color discrimination. This can be achieved with glasses, clip-ons, or even contact lenses. So, if your goal is to enjoy the colors of a dramatic sunset like everybody else or if you want to pass the color deficiency tests to get that dream job, give us a call at Mt Tam Optometric Center to let us help you.

chromage lenses

Here is how ChromoGen works:

ChromoGen lenses are the result of many years of research that first started with the discovery of Irlen Overlays. The ChromaGen lenses change the wavelength of light going into your eye thus changing the speed of the information traveling along your brain’s neurological pathways. By using a different ChromaGen lens in front of each eye, it is possible to balance the signals from each eye to the visual cortex in a way to eliminate or greatly reduce your symptoms.

Is ChromaGen Right For Me Or My Child:

The first step is to take the Chromagen Survey. Please click the picture on the right. Make sure you put in your correct contact information so that the team at Mt Tam Optometric Center can contact you with your results. This 3-4 minute survey has proven to be very effective at determining who will be helped by the ChromoGen Solution.

If you are a good candidate for ChromaGen, then the staff will set you up for an appropriate appointment. If you have not had a comprehensive eye exam in the last year, or if you are unsure if your binocular vision (how the external muscles of the eyes work together as a team) and accommodative facility (how good the internal muscles of your eyes are at maintaining a focus on near objects) were evaluated and corrected for, then we suggest you first have a comprehensive exam.

The next step is the Chromagen Evaluation which is comprised of four parts:

1. First, a baseline of your reading ability will be determined.

2. Next we will determine which combination of lenses will be best for you.

3. We will then retest your reading ability with the lenses to show you how much improvement there has been.

4. If you like what you are seeing and feeling, we will help you pick the best approach for your lifestyle and vision needs, whether it is contact lenses, clip-ons, or a whole new design of glasses.

What We Love About The ChromaGen Solution:

In our experience, if you or your child scored high in either of the two sections of the survey, there is a 50 % chance that ChromoGen will create a real “WOW” effect for you. There is a 25% chance that you will see some improvement in both comfort and quality of reading. Unfortunately, that means there is a 25% percent chance that it won’t help you at all. If you are one of the 25% that is doesn’t work for, then you can cut your losses and not have to invest in a set of glasses or a contact lens fitting that may not work.

But, if you are one of the 75% that the ChromaGen Solution works for, then you can go forward knowing just how much it will do for you because when we put a trial frame on with your ChromoGen Lenses, the effect will:

  • Be Instant!
  • Be Obvious!
  • Probably change your whole approach to reading!

If you suffer from dyslexia or reading difficulties where you see words moving in some fashion, take the Chromogen Survey now to see if ChromaGen Lenses and Mt Tam Optometric Center can change your life!

Take the ChromaGen Survey

This 3-4 minute survey has proven to be very accurate in determining which people will benefit from the ChromaGen Solution. Click the orange button above to take the survey. Please make sure you enter the correct contact information so that the team at Mt Tam Optometric Center can contact you with your results and options.

chatbot icon
chatbot icon

How can we help you today?

Request an Appointment 
Contact Us
View Office Hours
Online Patient Forms

Our Office

  • 1604 Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
  • San Anselmo, CA
  • 94960
Contact Page Request an Appointment 

Office Hours

  • Monday
  • Closed*
  • Tuesday
  • 9:00am - 5:00pm*
  • Wednesday
  • 9:30am - 6:00pm*
  • Thursday
  • 9:00am - 5:00pm*
  • Friday
  • 8:00am - 4:00pm*
  • Saturday
  • 9:00am - 1:00pm**
  • Sunday
  • Closed

*By Appointment Only! Please call our office.
**Open first and third Saturday of the month
Request an Appointment 

Patient FormsScroll for more options.